Sunday, May 3, 2009

Where does my money go?

As I am finishing up my second semester as a freshman here at SMU I find myself worn out and broke. I wonder to myself where all of my money has gone considering I don’t shop, I spend very little on gas, and I have 2 jobs. With all that in consideration you would think I was a cheap freak and was saving up plenty of money. But instead I am left with a negative amount in my bank account?
I figured it was time to look back at my credit card history and see where my moneys going. I had it made up in my mind that someone had gotten a hold of my account information and was using it to buy things. As I logged on to my account and started looking back at what all I had bought and hadn’t bought, to my surprise there wasn’t a thief to blame other than my stomach.
I had spent over 300$ on FOOD in the past month! I mean that is pretty ridiculous. From groceries, to eating out for lunch and dinner, that is exactly where all my money had gone. I had even talked to my bank and reported suspicious activity and yet, o wait, I was the one who had being using it! To my embarrassment I had to call the bank and my family and tell them that I was indeed the one who had spent all the money. There was no thief involved at all. So where is the limit we place on ourselves to say it’s ok to spend money on. I had thought all along that I was being very safe and cautious with my money because I wasn’t doing anything ridiculous like shopping all the time. But who’s to say it’s ok to spend money on food but not clothes and you’ll still be in the clear? Little did I know I ended up outta luck and broke by the end.

No comments: