Thursday, April 9, 2009

Road Rage

The other day I was driving to pick up the kids I babysit for. I was running a little late so I was in a bit of a hurry and was speeding through the lanes. Of course to my surprise, there was a car in my blind spot that I cut off as I switched into the left land to make a turn. The small black Mercedes laid on its horn and its brakes as we swerved to miss each other. To my surprise, knowing that I was in the wrong, I still threw my hands in the air and yelled “What?” as if I wasn’t in the wrong. My reaction was that of pure guilt. I didn’t think I was in the wrong because I needed to be speeding in order to pick someone up. (Selfish I know). But if you think about it, I know you’ve done it too.

So yesterday I was driving and some prick cuts me off right in front of a stop light. Before nearly slamming my car into the back of his, my quick reflexes enabled my foot to pump the break nearly in time to save myself from a wreck. I was FURIOUS. Who did this person think they were cutting me off? And yet they looked at my like, why are you honking at me? I’ve done nothing wrong. So point to the story is, when do we draw the line in justifying a reason to speed or drive inappropriately? And if so why can’t we get our own self-conscience to obey it.

No comments: