Saturday, September 27, 2008

self defense

The dorms around campus seemed to be covered in flyers advertising self defense classes and protection workshops. I never really looked closely at the flyers, I usually just laughed at the funny photos instead. Until recently. I began to wonder what exactly I would do in the situation if I was attacked or assaulted. As the crazy idea ran through my head the reality of the situation seemed farther away. I found myself contemplating what in the world type of defense I would use against a 200 lb man? It wasn't long until I was standing and attending that silly workshop I had so easily brushed off a week before.
From throat grabs to groin hits, the list of ways to defend yourself against your attacker suprised me. The program I attended was called TAKE. It was a great experience. I learned how to shift my weight and use my entire body against the person constraining me. Something I would have NEVER known how to do otherwise. I sat and listened to the programs instructor as he spoke about talking with criminals who had assaulted and even murdered young women around my age. I thought to myself, what would I have done without this class? And why is this not such a reality check to every other young girl around me. This foundation is a perfect example of the strength the community needs to ensue in it's surrounding social events. The topic is for sure important enough I think. Why is this class not a mandatory thing? I know it would just be one more annoying meeting to attend, but it's up there with alcoholedu and that takes up about 5 hours of a freshman's time.

http://www.takedefense.org

2 comments:

AlmostFamous said...

After reading your post, I am now regretting not going to the self defense classes that have been advertised throughout Boaz. I also thought it was silly and I wasn't going to need a class to help me fight off a male. I need to understand that everyone walking around the campus cannot be trusted. I am a really trusting person and hope that I never come in contact with an assaulter. Hopefully this class will be advertised again because I will definitely jump on that opportunity to learn how to fight. I bet the class was a lot of fun and interesting to learn the different moves. I also agree that it should be mandatory because then young women on campus would feel confident to fight if faced with a bad situation.

greek girl said...

I also regret not taking the self-defense class. With all the campus alerts flying around saying things like "Student sexually assaulted on campus" I freak out. My guy friends always laugh when I ask them to walk me somewhere at night. They say things like "Why are you worried? Your not going to get raped. Your on a safe campus." Maybe if I had gone to that class, I would now know what to do if I ever was in a situation like that and wouldn't be as scare walking around campus at night.